Saturday, July 25, 2009

I am looking for the name or author of a children's book I remember from the early 60's?

The story was about a woman who brought some flowers in and put them on her table and they looked so nice she decided to make a new table cloth and that looked so nice she had to make new curtains and that looked do nice she painted the walls etc. I think the flowers were petunias but am not certain. Thanks for your help Kath

I am looking for the name or author of a children's book I remember from the early 60's?
This question has come up on several book search sites, and I'm not sure the "solution" was actually what people wanted, but here goes... copying/pasting from loganberrybooks.com





Question: This book was from the 60's or 70's. It is a young reader level compilation of short stories with morals. In one story a poor, downtrodden woman is given a vase of flowers. She puts them on her kitchen table and notices how dirty her table is and so she paints it, then notices the walls and paints them, etc. until she has a nice clean and newly painted little house, inside and out. The only other story I can remember has to do with either a dog or cat that is scared to climb either up or down the stairs and has to overcome that fear when the family moves in to a new house and the children sleep upstairs. Could these stories be part of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series? Or am I combining two different books?





Answer: Jane Thayer, Read Aloud Funny Stories, 1958. I am the original requester of this stumper. I have since found the book in a box. Thanks for all of your input. Also, I believe this is the same book that is requested in M-55 of the stumper list.





I'm sure you can find some for sale on http://www.abebooks.com





Good luck!
Reply:Either ask this question of the librarian at the Library of Congress' website: loc.gov or go to


alibris.com and ask your question there.



computer

No comments:

Post a Comment